sjfphotography: *fine art images *natural light portraits *greeting cards


Saturday, January 25, 2014

midway mike
 
My wanderings today took me to the east side of the county where I met Mike.  Midway is a wide place in the road at intersection of County Roads 6950 and 3860.  At the abandoned gin turned junkyard, I found Mike.  I asked him what Midway was midways of.  He replied that Slaton was about 10 miles yonder and Lorenzo was yonder about 10 miles.  He said never was much at Midway --used to be hamburger stand over yonder.  There is a store which is open everyday but Sunday (I regret not going in--maybe next time).  Mike offered me a cold beer, which I declined, and was cranking up the chainsaw to cut firewood as I left.  According to the Handbook of Texas, Midway grew near the McClung school, one of twenty-six Lubbock county rural school districts in the mid-1920s. In 1935 McClung school was consolidated with those of Acuff and Canyon to form the Roosevelt Rural School District.  I didn't know about the McClung school - learned a new fact and made a new acquaintance today.
 
Midway, Texas
CR 6950 and 3860

No comments:

Post a Comment