sjfphotography: *fine art images *natural light portraits *greeting cards


Friday, February 21, 2014

turn here

 I confess.  I have a condition.  It has a name - or several.  I am a tombstone tourist,  a taphophile, a graveyard junkie.  The term "tombstone tourist" originated with the title of Scott Stanton's book chronicling the final resting places of famous musicians.  Scott passed away in 2013 and I wanted to read his obituary to see where he is buried; however, I didn't want to pay the "legacy" fee to read it! 
The only famous musician gravesites I have visited are Buddy Holly in Lubbock and Hank Williams in Birmingham.  This sign points to the graveyard in Goodnight, Texas where Charles Goodnight is buried.  Not a famous musician but a cattle rancher, bison breeder and inspiration for "Lonesome Dove."

Goodnight Cemetery
Armstrong County, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment